Now that you have reunited what’s next? After the fun and lovemaking to reconnect the physical aspect of being back together, what’s next?
Ask yourself these questions:
- Has anything been resolved and agreed upon?
- What’s the commitment moving forward? Are you both on the same page?
- Depending on the severity of the breakdown of the relationship there should be stronger boundaries
- Really pay attention to the words and actions matching. What isn’t being said?
- What else was said other than “I missed you so much”? What else was discussed about the prior relationship?
- Are there any ties with someone else? Does that need to be severed?
- Are you making this decision with a rational mind and heart? Are you hanging on to old feelings?
- Are you reuniting to avoid dealing with hurt?
Reuniting can feel so fantastic.
The honeymoon state often starts again and the same kind of blindness from the cocktail of hormones flooding your brain. It can also be as blind the second time as it was the first.
Pay attention to what you are not doing. Do you not want to talk about the hard stuff because you are so into them again? How serious are you about preventing another major heartbreak?
The key is to stay grounded with yourself and committed to yourself above the relationship.
It’s a good idea to keep that journal handy and look back at what you went through with the breakup and to journal about what you are noticing about the reconnection. Stay conscious as much as you can.
Yes, absolutely enjoy the heck out of your reunited relationship. Make sure it stays healthy and fulfilling. Do it consciously. Keep grounded in your non-negotiables and hold true to what you need. This is not an extension of the old relationship, it’s a new relationship.
If you would like support around how to make sure it’s better this time around, contact me for a Get to Know Me Session.
Photo by Oziel Gómez